Cory Bernardi makes the claim that the only group that benefits from Australia’s carbon tax are the overseas firms that have to compete with Australian businesses. I’m gonna have to disagree with the senator on this one. I can think of a number of other beneficiaries.
- The green energy rent seekers who will receive a proportion of the stolen wealth.
- Other rent seekers with political influence who will be overcompensated.
- Banks who will be advantaged when the tax becomes an ETS (unless an election intervenes).
- Environmental activists and inner city leftists who get to feel good about themselves (and isn’t that the most important thing?)
- The new government bureaucrats who land cushy jobs at our expense to administer this atrocity.
- Politicians who get to go to the UN and brag about how noble they are.
- Tony Abbott. Labor’s problems started with the broken promise on the carbon tax. While other policy blunders and scandals have also helped Tony’s journey to the prime ministership, the carbon tax probably played the biggest role.